Open the Image Viewer
Double click the image thumbnail you wish to view. The Image Viewer window will open. Please note: the most common reason the Image viewer fails to load is a pop-up blocker is enabled. Please see our help section on disabling your pop-up blockers.
Image Viewer Tools
Zoom and pan
The first row of icons in the Image Viewer footer provide tools for analyzing the image.
Click (the zoom-in button) to see more detail in an image. You are able to zoom-in to the image until you are viewing the image at its Actual Size, when the percentage under the Thumbnail Map reads “100.0%.”
When (the zoom mode) is selected, you can zoom-in by clicking anywhere in the image with your mouse. You can zoom-out by pressing the Ctrl- (or ) key and clicking into the image. You are able to zoom-in to the image until you are viewing the image at its Actual Size, when the percentage under the Thumbnail Map reads “100.0%.” Zoom-in and the Zoom-out buttons.
When (the pan mode) is selected, you can move the zoomed-in image by clicking anywhere on the image and dragging your mouse in any direction. Please note: you will need to zoom into the image before the you can select the Pan Mode.
When (the rotate mode) is selected, you can rotate the image up to 360 degrees by clicking into the image and dragging your mouse to the right to rotate the image clockwise. You can reset the image to its original orientation by clicking the reset button.
- Click and drag the red box around the thumbnail map to pan to different areas of the image.
- The number beneath the image in the thumbnail map indicates what percentage of the image’s actual size you are currently viewing. When the number reads “100.0%,” this means that you are viewing the image in its actual size and you cannot zoom-in any further.
To view two images at once on the screen for comparison purposes you need to open each image in the Image Viewer at the default, half-screen size.
- From thumbnail view, double-click an image to open the Image Viewer. If you have not already, you may need to disable popup blockers. If the image viewer opens at full-screen, simply click (the minimize button) in the bottom center of the Image Viewer window, to set the image to half-screen.
- Return to the thumbnails window and open the second image in the Image Viewer. This second Image Viewer will open on the opposite side of the screen as the first Image Viewer.
- In the Shared Shelf Commons navigation bar click Display options > Bring image windows to front. You may also right- (or Control-) click anywhere on the Thumbnail Page and then select the “Bring image windows to front” option from the resulting shortcut menu.
- Both Image Viewer windows will appear side-by-side in front of the Thumbnail Page. You have access to the full functionality of the Image Viewer (zoom, pan, print, etc.).
The icons for various display options are located in the footer of the Image Viewer, directly underneath the image analysis icons (zoom, pan, rotate, etc.), and to the left of the navigation arrows.
Click (the list image titles icon) to open a window that lists, by title, all of the images in the currently displayed collection category, Image Group, or set of search results. Click on the desired title to open an image in the Image Viewer. If you would prefer to view the images sequentially, use the navigation arrows to the right of this icon.