A screen resolution of at least 1280 x 1024 pixels is recommended for optimal viewing of Shared Shelf Commons. For optimal viewing of Shared Shelf Commons images, especially in the OIV, your color settings should be set to True Color (32 bit). Please use the following instructions to change the monitor resolution and color settings for PCs or for Macs.
- Click on the “Start” button in the lower left corner of your screen. #Slide your cursor up and select the “Control Panel” option. Note: For a shortcut to bypass this step, right-click directly onto your desktop (with no program windows open) and choose “Properties” from the drop-down menu. This will also open the “Display Properties” window.
- In the new window that opens, double-click on the “Display” icon. If you are using Windows 2000, click on the “Start” button, then slide your cursor up to the “Settings” option to choose “Display.” If you don’t have this option, click on “Control Panel,” and once the window opens, double-click on the “Display” icon.
- When the “Display Properties” window opens, click on the “Settings” tab.
- In the bottom half of the window, you will see a “Screen area ” or “Screen resolution” section that displays your current screen resolution below a downward pointing arrow.
- Click on the arrow and slide it to the right or left until the text below shifts to 1280 x 1024 pixels. If a value larger than 1280 x 1024 shows up, you have gone to far. Simply move the arrow back to the left until the text reads 1280 x 1024 pixels.
- If you have a large monitor, you can set your resolution to higher a higher value, e.g. 1280 x 960.
- In the bottom half of the window, you will see a “Colors” or “Color quality” area that displays your current color setting [e.g. “256 Colors” or “High Color (16bit)”]. Select “True Color (32 bit)” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Apply” button, and then “OK” to exit the window.
- Go to the Apple menu, then select the “System Preferences” option.
- Click on the “Displays” option, then click on the “Display” tab.
- Select the desired screen resolution from the list in the “Resolutions” panel in the left-hand side of the window.
- Then, select the desired color setting, e.g. “Millions”, from the drop-down menu in the right-hand side of the window. Most likely, the default color setting on your Mac will be sufficient to view Shared Shelf Commons images, so you may not need to change this setting.
- Close the window to apply your changes