- Begin an Advanced Search from any location in Shared Shelf Commons:
- On the front page of the Digital Library, click advanced search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper left corner.
- OR On a search results page, click Advanced search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper right corner. You may also click the Advanced Search button.
- OR Go to the SSC navigation menu and click Find > Advanced search.
- Construct your Advanced Search
- Once you have created your query, click Search. Your results will appear as thumbnail images. You may further refine these results by launching the Advanced Search window again, or by using the Keyword Search box and choosing Within this search result from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a search term in the first search box.
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of this field to specify the scope of your search: in any field, in Title only, or in Creator only.
- Use the drop-down menu at the beginning of the second row to select a Boolean operator (AND/OR/NOT).
- Enter another search term in the field provided.
- Repeat these steps for each keyword term that you wish to enter.
Search by date or date range.
- In the date range area, enter a year in the “From” field and choose an era [CE (AD) or BCE (BC)], using the drop-down menu.
- If you would like to search for a range of dates, enter another date choosing an era from the corresponding drop-down menu.
- Select a radio button below the “From” and “To” date fields to either include records with date ranges that overlap the range you entered, or to search only records with dates that are exactly in the range you entered.
Search by geography.
- Use the scroll bar under Geography to review a list of geographic terms. Click the checkbox next to the desired region or country (up to five selections).
Search by classification.
- Use the scroll bar under Classification to review a list of classification categories. Click the checkbox next to the desired classification (up to five selections).
Search by collection.
- Use the scroll bar under Collections to review a list of collections available to you, which may include personal collections and/or institutional collections. Please note: All of these choices may not appear. Click the checkbox next to the desired collection.